Friday, December 13, 2013

This week was a sensitive and honestly a sad topic.  We discussed divorce and the consequences it can have on a family system.  I am now a marriage and family studies major and I hope to become a marriage and family therapist after I finish my schooling and I imagine I will most often be dealing with cases of divorce or people who are seeking a divorce.  On Monday I wrote down a very powerful statistic.  Seventy percent of divorced people, two years after the divorce believe they could/should have saved the marriage.  This really struck me because one of the biggest things I hope to accomplish in my career is a realization in people that marriage is tough, but it is most often worth saving, not only for the children (if there are any), but for the couples themselves. My parents are happily married, but I do have an aunt who has been married and divorced several times.  When we learned about the role this plays on the children I started looking at my cousins and I know they have definitely been affected by their mother's choices.  The oldest son in that family is currently in prison and he will be for some time.  I linked this back to not having a father in the home.  When a father isn't present it takes a toll on the boys in the family interestingly enough.  However, the two sisters in this family have also suffered greatly without a positive model of what a relationship should be; therefore, they have had their own struggles.  The youngest son in the family is the one I feel most sorry for.  He is the one who has lived through several fathers, abuse from those men, the pain of his siblings, and now I see his own choices going downhill simply because he didn't have the security of two parents in the home with a loving relationship.  I do believe there are instances when a marriage should not continue, in such cases of abuse, but for the relationships that have simply grown apart I believe those are the ones worth saving along with many other scenarios.  This is what I hope to dedicate the rest of my life to.

No comments:

Post a Comment