Friday, December 6, 2013

This week we discussed parenting.  Even though I am not a parent yet I learned a lot this week about why my parent's did certain things and I started to pattern out some ways I would like to parent.  We watched several videos about parenting that were actually pretty good because they acted out certain situations that I know I have seen happen in my own family.  But, they didn't always just act it out in one way, they would change either the way the parent acted in the situation or how the child acted.  I wish it were that easy that we could just pause, rethink the situation, and replay.  One thing I was always frustrated with was the fact that at least one of my parents would stay up to make sure I made it home safe and on time.  I felt like they didn't trust me to follow curfew, but the video explained why it is a good idea to be awake when your children come home; it enforces curfew, let's them know you are safe, and honestly I realize now that it showed my parents cared about me.  We also addressed some of the reasons why people have the desire to be parents.  One of the ideas I was most inspired by was that parenting encourages a stronger relationship with our Father in Heaven.  We begin to see why Heavenly Father lets us go through some trials just as we would let our own children go through trials; it serves the purpose of teaching a lesson so we can grow and learn.  I am excited to become a parent one day and I am really starting to see just how smart my parents really are.  I hope I can pattern my own parenting in such a way that it strengthens my relationship with my children and helps them learn and grow in a positive environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment