Friday, November 22, 2013

This week was focused on communication.  Even though communication seems simple, it may often be misread.  Even when we try to not communicate with someone we are sending a message of annoyance among many other things.  Pretty much everything we do sends some sort of message to those around us.  Body language often speaks much louder than our words.  While I was thinking about communication and how much it has changed over time, I started thinking about texting and all of the miscommunications which happen when people text.  I often find myself adding my own tone even when what I think is intended may not actually be the case.  Take for example a text that says, "Yeah. That works for me. See you in the morning."  (Yes this was an actual text I received today)  The lack of emoticons or even varied punctuation made me read this in an annoyed tone.  I felt like I was bothering the person who sent this message even though I'm sure that wasn't the case.  We must be careful about how we interpret texts and other means of communication as well.  What we decode may not be the actual message that was originally encoded.  Give people the benefit of the doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment